History of the Noordmolen
The Noordmolen is more than 650 years old. In May 1347, Herman van Twicklo bought “Huize Eijsink” and the Noordmolens (mills) situated along the Azelo stream from the nobleman Berend van Hulscher. The deed of sale has been preserved in the archives of Twickel Castle, in which mention is made of the Noordmolens.
In the past, there was a corn mill opposite the present oil mill. This was demolished in 1831.
The mill has been restored several times, as can still be seen by memorial stones in the quay walls. In 1917, the mill was repaired, but stood still, partly due to lack of water, leading to renewed decay. In the years 1976-1978, the mill building was once again restored by order of the Twickel foundation. In 1984, the mill received a new water wheel that was donated by the Rotary Club Delden-Borne. In 1989, restoration of the interior was completed.
The Noordmolen back in action
Since May 1990, volunteers have kept the mill in operation. In 2006, another major repair was necessary. Not only the mill, but also the mill wheel, the quay walls and the bridge were in need of renovation. In addition, thanks to occupational health and safety legislation, a miller’s house was built. This house was built as much as possible according to the old techniques used in the construction of mills. This very large renovation project was realised thanks to European subsidy (Leader+).